Game Idea Research

Last week we were asked to brainstorm four different ideas that could be possible games that we could create in this module of 'MultiMedia Development.Below I have listed the four that I came up with:

  1. Racing Game
  2. Interactive Game (COVID Edition)
  3. Maze
  4. Running / Chase Game

So after a lot of contemplating I have finally decided to do a mix of two ideas which are the 'Maze' and 'Chase game'. I decided to do a mix of both of the games because I really couldn't narrow it down they both seemed like good ideas to me so the best thing for me to do was just to mash them together and take the best parts of each game.
I decided against the racing game and the interactive game as I don't think they were as interesting as the maze or chase game. 

 My inspiration has come from the movie that I mentioned last week 'Maze Runner'. I decided to go and watch the movie to give myself some more research on how I would want the game to be portrayed. I have decided there are a lot of work that comes into play the creating a game below I have listed a few games mechanics and more information about my creation of the game that I think are useful to know.

Photo Caption : animation of running character.



Aim of the Game:

This game is based on a 'runner/character' trying to outrun a 'monster' while overcoming obstacles through a mysterious maze. It is a fast pace moving game with a lot of surprise elements for the player to enjoy.

There are a lot of factors to come in to play when creating this game like:
  • Background - I have decided I want some levels to have different backgrounds like forests, jungle, Greenland, and a beach possibly.
  • Layout of maze - This will take me a while to fully figure out how to create the game , I think before making the game I will draw a few rough drafts of the different layouts I hope to create. Soon I will add pictures of my sketches.
  • The character. - I am not sure how to do this as of yet, but I am currently watching Youtube videos of different ways to create a character I have left a link here of a video I have watch that is very helpful.
  • The obstacles -  Each level I hope to have different types of obstacles depending on the theme of the level eg. If they were running through the jungle - they would have to jump over a tree, etc.
  • Background noises - Each level I will hope to have a different theme so depending on which theme the background noise will be linked in with that.
  • 'Monster or creature' - As of right now I don't know what the 'creature' will be named or look like. But they will have sound effects.
I have found tutorials on YouTube of someone explaining step by step how to create the maze. I have left the tutorial below.


When trying to focus in on my final game idea decision I had many elements to consider, below is a list of five elements that I created in a blog a couple of weeks back that I believe will help me understand what I want my game to overall look like.
  1. Environment - Where is this game taking place?
  2. Genre - What is the style of game?
  3. Goals - What do yo have to achieve?
  4. Rules - What you can and cannot do / obstacles you are to overcome?
Environment - Depending on each level , forest, beach, jungle, temple, etc.
Genre - Chasing / maze game.
Goals - In order to proceed to the next level you must overcome the obstacles that you will be faced with which is for example a box, tree, animal, water, fire, etc. As you are doing this you will also have to outrun the mysterious monster from behind, without being caught.
Rules - Must complete each level successfully in order to move on to the next. 



Game Mechanics:

Obstacles:
As I have stated before in my 'Game Idea Brainstorm' I want to include obstacles for the player to overcome. I have done a lot of research for this part, If the player does not out pass the obstacles then the game will then end essentially, or they will loose a life. The obstacles will depend off each level, but my ideas for the obstacles are trees, boxes, and possibly animals. I found a few tutorials on how to create obstacles in 'Unity' here is the video tutorial. It is explained very well so I think I have a rough understanding on how to go about doing this. From my first unity tutorial we learned how to get a car to drive and knock obstacles out of the way. So I hope this knowledge will help me when creating this part of the game.

Maze layout:

The most important game mechanic I think when creating my game is creating the maze. If I don't have the layout of the game perfect all other aspects won't work. It is how the game is started to if the maze is not working then the user can't play the game. 

Movement:
An aspect of movement that comes to mind is running, sliding or walking I found another video tutorial on 'Youtube' which gives guides on how to get the player to slide under different types of 'obstacles'. I think this will be the challenging part but with lots of practice I think I'll be fine.

Player / Monster:
As of right now I don't have a name for the monster or creature that the player will be running from but I hope to sketch out an image to give me good visual to have when creating the game. I have found a few unity tutorials online that seem easy enough to follow which will help me create the monster. I also need to figure out how I am going to get the monster to continue to follow the player at all times to try and catch them. I have found a video here of a zombie chasing character creation. But I will follow this tutorial but change the zombie to a monster possibly. 

The player: They will stay the same for each level, as for right now I think they will be a boy. I have found a video here, where it explains how to create a character, that I can add into my game. I want to make the player look as basic as possible so that the user focuses more on the game and visuals that I hope to add.

I think that all these mechanics are extremely important as they are the basis of the whole game, with these things the whole game doesn't work. Each element of the game benefits each other.

Background:
I hope to create a vibrant background that draws the players eyes. Another aspect I want to include is background nosies like animals, and nature sound effects to give it real video game feel. An idea that I have is if the player is running through a jungle I will want to add noises such as animals or sounds of trees and birds chirping. Each level there will be different sound effects to match the theme of the level that the player is playing. By doing this it makes the game more exciting to play. 


 Research:
I wanted to ask family and friends what game that they would choose to see who my target audience would be. From the feedback I have received majority have said either a maze or a chasing game so I'm happy with my decision.
On my instagram I asked my 'followers' what games that they would choose and from my option of the four that I had previously brainstormed and the results turned out 50/50 on the 'maze' or the 'Chase' games. I added photos to give them a visual on what they would expect if they were to play the game.
                                                           Caption: Poll of game choices.

 Results:

Caption: Followers responses to poll.

Majority voted for the maze and chase game which I'm pleased to see. 

What I have learned from this is that my target audience is quite varied from people of all ages of 16-47 years old. The game in my opinion is a universal theme that would be suited to any type of person interested in gaming.



Overall Outcome:

Overall, I hope to create a 'professional' looking game, that is fun and exciting to play. I want the user to have fun during the game and I hope that they are wanting to continue to play it. If anything I want the player to react to how I would off when playing games similar like, 'Temple run' or 'Pacman' from when I was younger because as of right now I am know longer a 'gamer' but I want them to be excited when they beat the 'monster' and hope they were to be angry when they died so that they can restart and play again,  As mad as that sounds that was the fun part in playing these games, as if you were to never lose you would become bored quite quick.

Thanks for reading 

- Mia


Comments

  1. Hey Mia! I just read your idea for your game and think it's unreal! I love how much thought and detail you have put into it. It reminds me of a kind of Subway Surfers/Temple Run type game. The idea of using vibrant colours and jungle sounds in the back is a great idea and think it will really make the player of the game invested in playing. We have some similar ideas with this game so if you ever need anybody for feedback be sure to message me! Hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Mia, I enjoyed reading about all your gaming ideas, I think you have a fantastic direction in mind. I think your idea to mash up two different genres of games was interesting and has it has definitely got me considering how the final outcome will play out. I wonder if the players of the game will have fun running away from the monster as it sounds. I think having the players forced to comply with certain goals before they can proceed is an interesting premise to have in the game adding depth and complexity to you game. the game sounds are also an interesting touch allowing them to get real emersed in the gameplay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mia! I want to say that you covered every aspect of the game down to the background noise that will be featured on scenes of the game. I can completely visualise what your game could look like you have described it so clearly. I used to play temple run and subway surfer all the time and I know a lot of my friends did too so this game will definitely be a popular. I seen that you put up a poll to ask what feature would be best suited on your game. I thought this was a great idea because it is primary research from your target market. I wonder could you use this as your main source of primary research for different areas of your game? I think that a great way to keep players attention on your game is to include an element of powerups such as extra lives so that the game can continue from further in the game rather than starting over all the time. However, this seems like a great game all round and I can’t wait to play it! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mia! This was such a fantastic blog post to read and I thoroughly enjoyed reading your thought process and ideas for this game. The post itself was very well laid out and easy to understand which is extremely helpful to the reader. This sounds like something I would love to play personally as it is very well thought out and seems to be similar to Temple Run which is one of my favourite games to play! I am just wondering about the monster you are going to create, will this be visible to the player throughout the whole course of gameplay or will the monster fade into the background like in Temple Run? Both options would be very interesting but I have never played a game before where the monster is constantly in shot. Overall, to me, this seems like a brilliant game with huge potential and I cant wait to see the outcome. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mia, its Ellen x I like your game idea I think it's very creative and would be so fun to play for lots of different age groups. I like that you're going to have a monster chasing you I think that adds an exciting element to your game. How many times would you be able to mess up in one game before he gets you? like does he get you straight away if you hit an obstacle or just get closer then the second time you hit an obstacle he gets you?. I think the sound effects ides is really good you could start with a faint noise and the monster could get louder as the level goes on to make it more intense like the way in some games the music gets faster. Cant wait so see how it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mia, I really enjoyed this blog post! Love your game idea, It's obvious you put so much thought into it and research! I like how you mixed a maze game with a runner game! I would've never thought about that! I like how you added obstacles to the game it definitely makes it more fun and interesting! Best of luck with the game :) -Megan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment