Games MDA

 When reading the first article on MDA was called 'MDA: A Formal Approach to Game Design and Game Research' by  Hunicke, R. LeBlanc, M. & Zubek, R. I found it over powering as there was so much information in one article. It did help that they had it layed out with each heading so you knew what you were gonna read about.

                                          Photo Caption: Image of MDA  concept.


I found an interesting YouTube video that I found helpful to give me a better understanding of MDA.


MDA  

The 'MDA' breaks down the creation of games into a simple format.

Mechanics: The elements that make up the game to make it functional - jumping, walking.

Dynamics: the behaviour process in the game when the mechanics are involved.

Aesthetics: the response that the player will receive when playing the game - fear, stress, excitement.


From watching the video I found it more helpful than the article as it broke down exactly what MDA really is all about:

Framework:

  • The guidelines and actions that take place in the game. 
  • MDA gives the developer or creature of a game a good outline to follow in order to create a successful game.


Each week I realise there is so much more information about game design that I had never taken into account.

My overall conclusion is that this process is a cycle and all parts involved wont work without the other. For example - the game idea and imagery is made for players by designers and created by developers. 

Comments